RE: [Harp-L] Positional Thinking

Point taken...good food for thought and Michael Rubin backs you up and I have a lot of respect for that guy. My thought process is sort of a hybrid I guess. Honestly, I try to avoid overthinking. It gets in the way of my playing. However if I am trying to work out a lick I tend to fall back on scales like you said. I use number charts a lot in song arrangements as well as scales. It makes it easy to transpose vs letters for the chords & notes. Also, I was not suggesting only 3 note (triad) arpeggios. Sorry about that.
Cheers,
Buck

Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 13:54:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Positional Thinking
From: bluesmandan76@xxxxxxxxx
To: boogalloo@xxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

I wasn't suggesting it as a standalone approach, but as something useful for a player to get out of a rut.
Arpeggiated triads are fine, but you're just working with 3 notes. A positional approach is more scalar, and has to do with how you view the whole harmonica and all the notes. Both are good and useful approaches, and I think a good player will play with both arpeggios and scales in mind. In my mind, the arpeggiated approach focuses on purposely hitting a few choice notes, whereas a positional approach looks at the whole harp and focuses more on what notes you DON'T include (on diatonic harp anyway). There's a lot of overlap between the two approaches as far as the actual notes used are concerned, but there is a different mental feel in arpeggios vs. scales, I think.

Think of it like this (and this is sort of an extreme example, to make the point): If you have a song that really vamps on a single chord, what are you gonna do? Say its a Dm chord, you've got a C harp. Do you just arpeggiate D F A over and again? That could get repetitive. Or do you just think "3rd position" and play everywhere?

Arpeggios absolutely are necessary, but in some cases it is useful to be more scalar, and play with the corresponding position in mind (provided you understand the relationship between scale and position).