Re: [Harp-L] History of harp tuning; Chrom Tuning

Planet Brendan:

I am a fan of Slim's and must say I always used to glaze over with all the talk about
harp tunings…

In the past….I Really felt it was a waste time to relearn various layouts on the harmonica…
My Minor Keyed tuned harps were cool for playing Fiddler on the Roof…or something….but..
confusing to switch back and forth.

Then….a few years back
Brendan Power came to my little town here on the west coast ,
He stayed over….and sat in
with my Band …at a well attended gig.

I had seen his presentation the day before at a music store…
and was impressed with playing…but thought…yeah but
this would not work with my band….

As I worked through the songs with my band the next day…
Brendan sat off to side….

With each song…he added tasty fills and backing riffs….
Not ever interfering with our more standard R&B playing.

Eventually…it became clear that Brendan was playing an entirely
different instrument than I was….He had opened a whole new way of approaching
these songs…

At that time…some of his harps looked like Frankenharps…
one half looked welded to another harp of a different key…in the upper register.
If he wasn't playing so tasty and adding so much to the gig…I would have called foul.
We weren't competing…just complementing.

Having the right harp for the right song…allowed him to really shine on songs that I was struggling to play
in 3rd position …he seemed to be playing in a minor key …but in first position.
Sounded like Louie Armstrong on one tune….
Having him solo after my solo was a joy…as we played entirely different patterns…
Normally…I hate two harps on stage…
In this case….It is a simply a different instrument.

Since then...Have I gone out and bought a pile of differently tuned harps?
No….not at all…I am kind of stuck in my ways…
but I can't imagine it would not help to have chromatic harps that
were made for certain types of music…

I will say…thanks to Brendan…
I am now all for all this inventing of a new instruments…
for those who like to use both sides of their brain at the same time.
You might really find it will open new ways of expression for
cats like Brendan….
Until you play along side him…..Which I am sure Slim has….
it is hard to understand
what freedom he has with all the choices in his harp case.
Like another set of paint brushes…
while the previous masters…had only one set..

I've yet to master the standard diatonic…let alone my standard Chromatic…

but it is nice to know there are no limits to expression…
I'll stay old school for now…but marvel at the future.

Grant Walters
http://youtu.be/SmEJX4MPQvk

That was