Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] History of harp tuning; Chrom Tuning

For some time, I realized  that there were times when I didn't know the name of the note I was playing, (this morning, for instance) .... and I found that knowing the name was actually helpful, for many reasons.

There was never a time when I was playing more Expensive Instruments, (sax, clarinet, oboe, flute, etc, saving up money so I could afford to learn jazz on harmonica in retirement, I suppose)..., when I didn't know the name of the note I was playing.. I try to treat the chromatic harmonica as if it's just another instrument. Depending on your goals, this is either essential, or non-essential

Knowing the names of notes makes sense, and, after a while, takes no extra thought. I will say, though, it's more difficult on the chromatic harmonica than on the chromatic saxophone.

On May 17, 2014, at 11:16 PM, Music Cal wrote:

> Jon
>
> Do you mean think in terms of pitches rather than notes. I'm like you. I don't know what note I am playing. My practice is built around developing my harp to ear connection and developing my ear. I think my chosen tuning has facilitated achieving this goal.
>
> Daniel

jon kip
http://jonkip.com

player of music, mostly written by dead people and played on a toy that everybody's Uncle except my nephew's has the good sense to keep safely out of sight in a drawer.