[Harp-L] playing but not hearing

Last night I had the privilege to sit in with the famous "Smoking Joe Kubeck” band. I had fun but, no lie, the guitars were so loud on stage that I could not hear a single note I was blowing. My wife said she could hear my harmonica just fine out of the main PA and that I sounded good but I don't know. Is this a somewhat common occurrence? My guess is the only thing worst would be not to hear your singing. Anyone else have any related stories? In hindsight I should have just played out of one of the available vocal PA mic's instead of the tiny little amp which was at my feet.
Mike