Re: [Harp-L] gold cover plates on Hohner Golden Melody (was Question about harps played by Bobby Darin)

A good place to start with harmonica tuning schemes is Pat Missin.

http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tunings.html

If you're searching the harp-l archives DO NOT use the default search, use the google custom search on the harp-l home page. The custom search is only limited by what you enter. Pretty much all of the harp-l archives are indexed and readily searched by the custom search. There are lots and lots of references to 12T ET and JI tuning.

So while pianos play just fine in any key signature they are in fact dissonant in many circumstances. Every guitar I've ever heard has a place on the neck where they sound dreadful. You can't have it all.

One of the better things I've ever done in terms of understanding harmonica and harmonica tunings was to buy a key of G pre-war Hohner Marine Band. I had the tuning restored to 7 limit JI and then kept it on my desk and played it and continue to play it. There is an entire universe waiting to unfold if you put in the time. fjm