Re: [Harp-L] gold cover plates on Hohner Golden Melody (was Question about harps played by Bobby Darin)

The harmonica Bobby Darin has in his hand is not a Golden Melody and it's not tuned to C or F. The song key is A and from that brief snipped of harmonica I'd guess the harmonica is a D.

Golden Melodies were issued in a 125th Anniversary model in 1982 and these harmonicas had gold cover plates. Marine Bands were also sold with gold cover plates and I want to say the occasion was the 100th anniversary of the model. As usual the commemorative versions were sold in the key of C which I find disappointing. Personally I'd get more use out of something lower pitched like and A or a G. fjm