Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 270 Brass Comb?

On Mar 23, 2014, at 3:47 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Well, whether Smokey thinks it's 'that much louder' to an onlooker, I  can
> attest that it actually is--as can anyone else who's heard him play that
> particular chromatic compared to his other normal chroms.

I guess you're right Scotty. When I switched chromatics in Cartagena last Sunday, several people noticed and asked what BRAND I was playing.

> In the afternoon
> Lobby Jams at SPAH Smokey has the disconcerting habit of playing much too
> quietly--making everyone strain to hear him...especially in the very noisy
> clatter of voices surrounding the players--hallway traffic, loud laughter, etc.

That's because I am shy (around other harmonica players) and feel that my playing isn't quite up to the other great players around me. Paul Davies can verify this.

> I remember in Minnesota where from just a few feet away (granted it was a
> huge  area shared by everyone--even the vendors' store through some doors
> probably 20  or so feet away), I could hear everyone else in the Jam during
> their turns  except Smokey--and I have excellent hearing.

I try to keep a low profile. My shows are a bit different. I play louder. BUT on a 12 man number we all did with Mike Peloquin at SPAH several years ago (Minn/St. P. I think), I was doing a solo in the key of F on a C chromo and several people told me I wasn't loud enough. So I took a Bb and played it in G....which gave me a louder key of F. I play by rote and not by ear. So I carry 4 chromos so I can play each one in about 4-5 keys each. I have to do that at my Sunday 'invitational' jam.

> Another time, when he put down one chromatic and picked up his bronze
> bodied one, the difference in sound was quite dramatic to my ears. I'd heard
> this before--turning around to see just who was now playing, surprised  to see
> it was still Smokey - on a different harp. I LOVED its sound.

Yeah, I remember. I had switched to my metal one. I try to nurse it because it's 20 years old and I love it. So I was originally playing a Stan Harper 56. I used to play trumpet, so I have an affinity to the metal harmonica.

smokey-joe