From: "EGS1217@xxxxxxx" <EGS1217@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: 3N037@xxxxxxxxxxx; joe_hagins@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 3:47 PM
Subject: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 270 Brass Comb?

Well, whether Smokey thinks it's 'that much louder' to an onlooker, I  can
attest that it actually is--as can anyone else who's heard him play that
particular chromatic compared to his other normal chroms. In the afternoon
Lobby Jams at SPAH Smokey has the disconcerting habit of playing much too
quietly--making everyone strain to hear him...especially in the very noisy
clatter of voices surrounding the players--hallway traffic, loud laughter, etc.
I remember in Minnesota where from just a few feet away (granted it was a
huge  area shared by everyone--even the vendors' store through some doors
probably 20  or so feet away), I could hear everyone else in the Jam during
their turns  except Smokey--and I have excellent hearing.

Another time, when he put down one chromatic and picked up his bronze
bodied one, the difference in sound was quite dramatic to my ears. I'd heard
this before--turning around to see just who was now playing, surprised  to see
it was still Smokey - on a different harp. I LOVED its sound.

Personally, I don't care about all the naysaying from those who can't  tell
the difference, since I attribute it to their own particular hearing (or
lack thereof). I know what I can hear--as do so many others of us--and it
cannot  be dismissingly attributed to 'expectations' since in most of these
cases  there were none. I've always believed no one really knows precisely what
it  is others can or cannot hear. It's never been an 'exact science' but
depends on the individual and their body and head cavities.

When I put wood covers on one of my several Super 64's the sound was
immediately 'muted' compared to the others--and noted by other chromatic  players
I played to--even though a couple of them hadn't yet seen the  chromatic.

**Ok. This happened at a Garden State club meeting. Charlie Toker (a
beautiful chromatic player who led his own band) was sitting far across the  room
as I went up to play. Charlie rarely looked at the player during these Open
Mics--keeping his head down looking at the table top or floor as he cocked
an ear towards the player while listening 'hard'. My long hair and long
scarf contributed to hiding the instrument. I did occasionally glance
towards Charlie and Phil --since their opinions mattered. Charlie never looked  at
me but I saw a quizzical look on his face throughout and after the applause
he immediately called out asking what on earth I'd been playing--'that's
not  your usual chromatic, is it' as he peered towards me. Like me, his eyes
were bothered a lot by the fluorescent fixtures in the room. He then came
right  over and before so much as seeing the chromatic  said my playing was
very different that night--good, but  different. What WAS it I'd been
playing? When I showed him he was  entranced by the covers (custom made
inexpensively by a Slidemeister member who no longer does  this)...and commented that
'there was a completely muted sound he had never  heard before from me--he'd
no idea why that would be until he saw the wood  covers, then it made
sense'.**
PS: Charlie had great ears and usually played very 'bright'  himself. He
excelled at Klezmer type music. I still miss hearing him.

The weight wouldn't be a problem for me either--one of these days I will
buy a brass comb from Chris--likely for my Super 64 (if the ones he'll  make
for the 280's fit). I like the heft of a heavier chromatic. If Val  Redler
Caltabellotta (who's a tiny woman) could play a big 48 chord and lug it
around everywhere, I can certainly play a heavier 16-hole chromatic. In
actuality I feel the weight would give me better control? Ymmv.

Elizabeth

"Message: 7