Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:11:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: philharpn@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] opened up cover plates?
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

I was waiting for someone to bring up the role of opened up cover plates in
the sound.

I was surprised at how loud my new (and only) key of C Seydel Noble is. The
Seydel Noble, which has  slots in both ends of both cover plates and an open
back design on the covers. These  features first showed up on customized
harmonicas  and now are standard equipment  on several upscale harps like
the Hohner Crossover and Thunderbird.

What about volume when it comes to opened up covers? Again, it probably
doesn't make any difference what metal the covers are made of, just that
that the sides are cut out and backs opened up.

We all know that nobody has been able to discern any difference  between
materials for combs other than weight or taste (love the taste of wood). The
cover material ought to make about the same difference in sound as the
combs.

There was some interest in wood covers several years ago -- but I'm sure I
bought one. But I haven't been able to find it. I once had a student who had
a metal allergy (nickel?). Plastic covers like on the Hohner Piedmont and
gum ball jars would solve this. Maybe also chrome or stainless steel covers.
And the wood covers -- which have apparently disappeared from the market.

Phil

Sent from my iMac