[Harp-L] Phosphor bronze vs Brass reeds

The difference is indeed very small, and when you play one, then the other,
then back again... you will likely hear a difference. I do. Would it stand
up to a blind test? Probably not. But there is a perceptible difference
nonetheless.

I would equate it to the difference between guitar strings... flatwound,
pure nickel, nickelplated steel, roundwound... there is a difference, but
it is small. Or the difference between different woods used in guitars....
Rosewood, cedar, mahogany, ash, etc. They all have different
characteristics, but the difference is not huge. It's all very subtle, but
there IS a difference.

I doubt any audience could hear it or care, but when one is playing an
instrument for hours on end, he picks up the subtle things, and it matters
to him.

This is a topic that is endlessly debated... reed material, reedplate
material, comb material, combplate material. Some claim they can hear a
difference. Some claim there is none. When I play a Seydel Standard next to
a Bluesmaster, I can hear a slight difference.