[Harp-L] Re: Leather cases

To those who have expressed interest in my cases.

I posted a couple of photos on my bands Reverberation page that show my
case, they are the last two in the folder. Both shots are candids - taken
(gasp!) 35 years apart.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thewhistlingwolves

I designed the cases after a Mexican Army ammunition pouch I found in a
West Virginia flea market.  I wanted something simple, sturdy, compact and
built for heavy use.  Rather than use snaps or fancy closures I speced it
to have only a single brass harness button, I saw no need for separators as
they would only add bulk and since I play all Marine Bands the case could
be uniform in size. I initially had the case made for 9 harps because
that's what I needed on a regular basis. Back then I was playing pretty
much all bluegrass and old time so I needed standard and odd keys to
accompany the high lonesome vocal preferences of bluegrass musicians - A,
Bb, B, C, D, Eb, E, F, G

Morgantown, WVA, my home at the time had leather design studio that was
owned by a fellow harp player and he stepped up and made this amazing case.
 I've since had him build 3 more for me, all the same, and I use them as my
front line cases with the following:

Plain old Sleigh/Filisko Marine Bands
Country Tuned Sleigh/Filisko Marine Bands
Low or High Tuned Sleigh/Filisko Marine Bands
Odd keyed regular and country tuned Sleigh/Filisko Marine Bands

35 years later with regular use (2-3 gigs a week and as many sessions as I
can pack in between my job at the Whitney Museum and my 23 month old
daughter) these cases show no wear.

Once while traveling through Morgantown I stopped by the shop and without
mentioning that the case had been made by them 3 decades earlier I asked
the counter person if they might recommend a leather conditioner for the
case. She brought the case to the back where Charlie was working and a
couple of minutes later he came slowly walking up to the front tenderly
holding the case with this misty look in his eyes , , , "wow, look at the
patina on this leather, it's so beautiful". It was so sweet to see an
artist reflect back to his customer such pride.

I'm not sure I've aged as well as the case but I must say it's nice to have
these beauties stuffed with the finest harmonicas made.

Tell him Trip sent you.

Tanner's Alley
Charles McEwuen
416 High Street