[Harp-L] Chromatic harmonicist Toots Thielemans retires at 91--from Associated Press

To:  HARP-L

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

I posted this yesterday and it came up on the index but copy didn't come up
on my screen. Hence, I'm posting again.

If this is redundant for you, please accept my apologies.

We had Toots here for our second Pensacola JazzFest in 1984.  He was a
triple-threat with performance on chromatic harmonica, guitar and whistling.
He had just joined George Shearing's Quintet replacing guitarist Chuck
Wayne. Other artists for that JazzFest were Wayne and Brazilian guitarist
Laurindo Almeida.  He's  a wonderfully talented man.  We wish him continued
happiness.

Belgian jazz musician Toots Thielemans, master of the harmonica, retires at
91

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 10:14 am

The Associated Press

BRUSSELS - Belgian jazz musician Toots Thielemans has decided to retire
together with his trademark harmonica at age 91.

Thielemans made the announcement Wednesday when he cancelled a concert in
Antwerp for a second time in three months for health reasons.

His manager, Veerle Van de Poel, said Thielemans "considers his energy too
limited for a full concert. He doesn't want to disappoint his fans, hence
his decision to stop playing."

The haunting sounds produced by his harmonica can be heard on movie classics
like Hollywood's "Midnight Cowboy" and France's "Jean de Florette."

His most famous hit was the upbeat "Bluesette," which he composed in 1962,
but kept adapting over the years.

Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo thanked Thielemans for "many magical moments."

                                                --End--