Re: [Harp-L] Seminars at the 2014 SPAH Convention

As a person who plays both diatonic and chromatic, I think I can explain this. With a chromatic, everything is cut and dried. The notes are there and there are very few shenanigans necessary to get those notes. Picture a 2 story apartment building. Notes will live across the hall upstairs (blow notes) and on your side of the hall (draw notes). Notes will also live in the apartments DOWNSTAIRS..i.e. slide in, across the hall (away from you), as blow notes, and on your side of the hall (nearest you) as draw notes. Sooo, once you know the addresses of these people (notes), you can deliver the mail. These people (notes) will ALWAYS be in the same places.

With diatonic, there is a mysterious way of occupying the building. And while you DO have a similar arrangement , you also have EXTRA people (notes). These people don't show up on the address book. Why? because they are not there. Not officially that is. They are missing. Now, you can 'find' these missing people by: bending, over drawing, over blowing. Why must you do this. BeCAUSE these missing people are living in places where you have to MAKE them be discovered. They are (basically) living in stair wells, cleaning gear closets, fire extinguisher cubby holes, utility rooms, store rooms. In other words their apartments DON't exist. So you have to FIND them to deliver their mail.

So, inasmuch as diatonics are a lot harder to master, it only goes to reason that more time has to be delegated to them in order to present a program in which said diatonics can be understood. And considering that everything changes each time you change harps, the burden of memory becomes too great to keep track of so many addresses.  The short story though is that over the years most everything chromatic related has been covered. Whereas diatonics still have some way to go.

smo-joe