Re: [Harp-L] U blocking

Tony Stephens wrote:
Just two questions on this subject. First does anyone here play 100% u blocking?
I play 100% what some would call U-Blocking. What I do is I place the tip of my tongue under the harmonica. If I relax my tongue, the hole in the center gets air from the natural divide in my tongue. If I tighten some muscles, I can play more than one note or block the center and play a split. The tip of my tongue remains under the harmonica at all times.

I am a horn player (trombone) so I have practiced lots of rapid tonguing patterns. I can perform all of them using this technique. Amazing how many muscles there are in the tongue...

I have seen most of the players you cited in your item 2, but I forgot my x-ray machine at home. I have never really asked. To be honest, if I didn't teach harmonica, I probably wouldn't have been able to answer. But in order to teach, I figured that I should at least be able to describe accurately what I do.

-LM