Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 17:11:34 -0700
From: Robert Hale <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] explain positions to beginner
To: harp-L list <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

What concept am I missing?

My student doesn't see ANY reason for regarding harps in different
positions. (He has most of the diatonic keys)
"It's a C harp, why wouldn't it always play songs in the key of C?"

Sure, I can show the theory and scales and such...but it does not connect.
He has studied with me for several years, is making progress, and likes the
melody skills he has learned. Has even gone on stage with me at an open mic.

Example:
It came up today. The unison hook in Roy Orbison's Candy Man would not be
properly played in 1P, but needs the draw 5 for the flatted 7th tone in 2P.
Yes we paralleled the line with a C harp in G, and a G harp in G. Nothing.

In ONE SENTENCE can I give him a starting point, a reason to "see" this
relationship?
(Or should I just leave him alone, happy as he is?) <grin>

Robert Hale
Spiral Advocate (Fanatic!)
Learn Harmonica by Webcam
http://www.youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL