Re: [Harp-L] I'm losing my Harp-L

On 6/20/2014 5:42 AM, slyou65@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I hope that the owner will permit me this "administrative" comment. I am not an owner or moderator on this list, but I co-own and co-manage another international mailing list, and have been struggling with this problem.

I suspect the problem, slyou65, is that you are posting from a yahoo.com address. This issue pertains email from a number of other domains, most notably aol.com.

Without getting into the technical difficulties, there is a system of authenticating the sender of an email called DMARC. Yahoo (and then AOL and several other ISPs) decided in early April to change their DMARC settings. (Here is a brief summary: http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/04/09/2047205/yahoo-dmarc-implementation-breaks-most-mailing-lists.) The way most mailing lists work, these ISPs will now bounce back any mail sent to a list from someone using their email service. And many mailing lists -- it appears that harp-l is one of them -- have a setting enabled which automatically disables, or even removes, subscribers who are generating a lot of bounces.

[To those who are not familiar with the workings of mailing lists, this setting might seem draconian. But if a mailing list generates too many bounces, it will get blacklisted, and that endangers the existence of the list. The alternative is to manually monitor the bounces and then manually change settings and contact effected subscribers; that can be overwhelming for many list admins.]

To date, the only fixes are workarounds, and they are klunky at best, and downright awful at worst.

Thus, my counsel to anyone using an email address on the yahoo.com or aol.com services is to get a different email address to use with this mailing list. That will save your subscription from being disabled and will save the list admins a lot of headaches. Considering that there are free addresses available from Google (@gmail.com) and Microsoft (@outlook.com) that are not effected by this problem (and from any number of other services, but I cannot confirm that they will resolve this issue), it is a pretty simple step to take.

Doug