Subject: [Harp-L] Maybe this harp thing is catching on....

David: I'd say. It's quite remarkable for a Newspaper with such  wide
distribution to be up to date about a new harmonica. Very  cool indeed -  (not
that I'm advocating ANY playing of harmonica while  driving--since I consider
it distracted driving). But playing as the  passenger is perfectly
acceptable and something I do all the time. The piece was  likely written by a harp
player who believes in SPAH's stated 'preservation and  advancement of the
harmonica'. It's all good.

You're right: Midnight Cowboy is more than a bit ambitious for a  brand-new
player to learn first time out - especially since it was played on
chromatic by Toots Thielemans, but then again--the writer is talking about  a FIVE
HUNDRED MILE trip! ;) That's surely a lot of mileage in  which to listen to
and hone one's ear and we certainly do know players who can  bend and OB/OD
well enough to get the 'missing' notes? and some younger players  seem to be
able to pick it up very quickly. ;) I usually only have to hear a  song a
half dozen times at most before I can play it - but of course I'm  using a
chromatic, as Toots did in playing it. Diatonics are a whole 'nother  thing.

It's a great tune...been brought here and discussed many times. Here 'tis
again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGORPUzLxtU

Elizabeth
PS: I found this comment on the YouTube particularly poignant. The man who
wrote it had NO idea just how famous is 'the harmonica player':

"the  harmonica player deserves recognition  a haunting but simple  melodieï
".
(He's  right of course since even those who post the LP only mention the
orchestra and  not Toots by name. Astounding).

"Message: 5