Gregorian Modes...was Re: [Harp-L] . "Take the A Train" Question (robert)

Jon,

I think of it in terms of "Gregorian Modes" or "church modes" on the
chromatic as the key of the chromatic I choose

Ionian Mode is 1st position - C  (Major diatonic)
Dorian Mode is 3rd position - D   (minor with Major 6th)
Phrygian Mode is 5th position - E  (minor  with minor 2nd)
Lydian Mode is 12th position - F  (Major with augmented 4th)
Mixolydian Mode is 2nd position - G  (Major with minor  7th)
Aolean Mode is 4th position - A (Natural Minor)
Hypophrygian Mode is 6th position - B (Diminished with minor 7th)

No matter how you think of it, Its all good!

George

--

   - *GEORGE MIKLAS,* Harmonica Performing Artist and Entertainer
   <http://harmonicagallery.com/>