Re: [Harp-L] Re: When Johnny Comes Marching Home

Neil,
When you transpose the song to the key of D, it remains a minor song.  The
notes you are playing are all white notes and therefore are members of the
D Dorian scale, which is a mode of the C major scale.  Coincidentally,
there are other D scales that use all of these notes, so this melody is not
necessarily dorian.  The D aeolian scale has all of these notes as well as
do others.  For the purpose of this discussion we'll call it dorian.  But
that does not make it in the key of C.  When using a mode of a major scale,
the key is now the same name as the new root.  Therefore this song is now
in the key of D.  Since the third note of D is F#, but you are playing an
F, you are playing in D minor, because the third note lowered one keyboard
note is what they call the minor third.  There are situations where a minor
third is played in the melody of a major song, but this is not one of
them.  Since the key of D is third position on a C harp, this song is now
in third position.  Even though D dorian is a mode of C major, the song is
not in first position.  However, you have now created a very easy way to
play this song!
Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com