Re: [Harp-L] no standards of harmonica accomplishment

Bigmouthhorns wrote:
After a twenty year debate with a bassist/ bandmate/close friend that started when he uttered the words "Gene Simmons is a great bassist" I would never make your Dylan comment, although I was thinking it.
In the end, my friend and I called a truce based on the difference between virtuosity vs artistry.
Although, I'm still not sure Gene Simmons falls into either category...

Trent Reznor said in an interview 10 or so years ago that Kiss was his first and one of his most important musical inspirations.

I don't know if Gene Simmons is a great bassist, though I doubt it.  I don't think Kiss was a great band, though they were certainly a great success.  Simmons himself said in an interview that Kiss might not be a great band, but they were a much better band than most people gave them credit for.  Whether they were great or not, they had something in them that inspired some of the best rock music in the last 20 years.

So I'm glad they showed up.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)
Twitter: lightninrick