[Harp-L] Chicago Blues Festival harmonica-wise

   For those in the vicinity of Chicago, the world's largest free blues
festival takes place June 13-15.  Plenty of harmonica stuff.  I think I saw
about 30 harpists in one day last year.  Truth be told, though, about 25 of
them were children under the direction of ace guitarist and SPAH regular
Eric Noden.  They're back again this year at the Front Porch stage (Friday
at noon) under the banner of "Blues in the Schools".  Eric and his partner
Katherine Davis deserve a ton of credit for this.
   This year marks the 100th centennial birthday of John Lee Williamson,
aka Sonny Boy I.  The fest honors the late harpist with a Friday
night mainstage performance set that includes Billy Boy Arnold,
Corky Siegel, Billy Branch, and Omar Coleman (8:25pm).  Mark
Hummel is doing one of his "Harmonica Blow-outs" on the Front Porch
stage Friday at 4:30pm and participating in a panel discussion earlier in
the day on John Lee Williamson on the Jackson Rhythm and Blues stage at
11:30am.
   Other good stuff I noticed:

Friday 13th
Morry Sochat/Shoji Naito on the Windy City Blues stage 12:45-1:45pm
Harmonica Hinds on the Pepsi Front Porch Stage 1:30pm

Saturday 14th
Dave Riley w/Bob Corritore and Willie "Beady Eyes" Smith  2:45-3:45pm and
Geneva Red 6:30-7:30pm, both groups on the Windy City Blues stage.
Matthew Skoller Band 1:30pm Front Porch stage

Sunday 15th
Jim Liban/Joel Patterson on the Windy City Blues stage 2:45-3:45pm
Blue Coast Band/Ron Sorin 4:00-5:00pm Windy City
Sugar Blue on the Front Porch Stage 4:30pm

Fest headliners include Dr. John, Betty LaVette, Carolina Chocolate Drops,
and Aaron Neville.

Looks like a great fest and the price is right.....FREE!!

Mick Zaklan