[Harp-L] self-taught

I've been watching the interviews conducted by David Barrett for Blues Harmonica. I've only watched a few so far and what I've noticed is that some pucker, some tongue block, some use a combination of both (and maybe some use U-block).

But the one thing they all have in common -- and it's not just 10,000 hours of practice -- is that they are self-taught.

I don't know of any other instrument were the majority of the players  -- even the good players and professionals -- teach themselves all they know about their instrument/and/or music.

The fact that anybody can teach himself/herself how to play the harmonica means the instrument is open to anyone. But with no standards of accomplishment, it's difficult to separate the novice from the intermediate from the advanced, because everyone has a different definition of each of those terms.

With just about any other instrument, there is a clear path of accomplishment. With the harp -- chrome or blues harp -- anyone can say he/she is at any level.

But at the same time it might limit the advancement of the instrument.