From: Rick Dempster <rickdempster33@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harri.haka@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:02 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Definition of riff & lick

A riff is melodic figure, usually a couple of bars long, that is repeated
over the entire
chord sequence, with minimal changes (like usually flatting the 3rd) to fit
the changing harmony.
A 'lick' is pretty much any kind of short musical figure.
This definition from the Book of Rick. Others might see it differently, but
they will all be wrong!
Cheers,
RickD.