From: Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Bob Cohen <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Jul 30, 2014 1:49 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Spah 2014 Blow Off

Spah actually does embrace the blow off. I believe it all started in the late
90s. Several illuminaries have hosted it. Including the great Paul DeLay.  It
was tried AT the host hotels but the volume was too high. Especially the bass.
It seems that many of the meeting places and/bars at the host hotels have what
we call in the business LIVE ceilings and walls. Not really conducive to good
sound transmissions. No, it didn't work very well. As I recall.

So the venue was moved "off shore". And as far as officially recognizing? I
think spah's resources are already stretched.

The facts are that when people came to spah and arrived Tuesday, it was usually
(I said usually) because they were older people. And they were making a vacation
of it. And looked forward to it all year, and planned for it. There were also a
lot of people whom didn't arrive till Wednesday.

Now the spah fest officially opens Tuesday night, and was never really packed
unTIL the blow offs started. These actually attracted a raft of younger
attendees. Attendees whom may not have been there otherwise. But they came in
early beCAUSE of the blow offs. The blow offs even attracted older players whom
play BOTH chromatic and diatonic. Like myself.
Like Scotty. Like so many others.

I don't really think that the blow offs siphoned many people away from the
'standard' activities. Because the attendees were there early 'just' to not miss
this great event. AND, a lot of people DO stay at the hotel during that event.
Usually older folks who aren't as interested in blues 'type' muic..but more into
Glen Miller. lolol. I used to open the open mic sessions at the hotel with ex
vice pres. Herb Eck, and the omni present Marv Monroe. I would then sneak away
to the blow off. Usually having to endure a mighty wild ride. lolol.

I always had a super experience.

smokey-joe (who once told Humpty Dumpty: "I wouldn't sit on that wall if I were
you",) Yes, he is the most unusual character you will ever meet. lolol

On Jul 30, 2014, at 12:46 PM, Bob Cohen wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2014, at 11:47 AM, Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> To my mind, and this is just personal, this event is a 'not to be missed'
opportunity. Desert beFORE  dinner, so to speak.

> It would be nice if SPAH finally officially embraced the Blow Off. This is
always a popular and well attended event and as I recall from my days in SPAH
leadership drew bodies away from some of the official doings. Surely we can get
a bigger tent. :-)