Re: [Harp-L] consistent levels from FX processor

Robert Hale wrote:
<My patches (RP355) sound very even and consistent in volume at home, but at
<the gig, some are just a little too loud or too low.
<I understand some about the masking of frequencies in the club that doesn't
<occur at home.

Yes, different rooms have different frequency responses; add or subtract people, pinball machines, etc. and things can get complicated.  That's why recording studios are worth the money when you're recording into an open mic; the studio is tuned to be neutral in terms of frequency response, and your living room or a nightclub generally isn't.

The simplest way to adjust the volume of the RP355 in performance mode is to use the right-most knob to adjust the master volume level. If you're not switching patches frequently, that should work until you do.

A more permanent solution is to use the Xedit application to set the relative volume of the patches on your RP, patch by patch, until they're the same, then use the master volume as necessary in a particular venue to make any necessary adjustments.

Finally, if you're playing a particular room frequently, you can adjust patch levels to get them to the right place for that room, then backup the whole patch set to a laptop.  The next time you play that room, restore the patch set you just saved to your RP, and you'll be good to go with a set of patches configured for the room.

I didn't mention adjusting patch EQ to fit the room, but you may find that it's worth the effort if particular patches sound too sharp or dull in a particular space that you play frequently.  Again, if you go that route, backup the whole patch set to a laptop for re-use.

Regards, Richard Hunter