[Harp-L] Re: LOWRIDER BAND "Lowrider" AND SPAH seminar on effects

On Jul 21, 2014, at 9:23 AM, Hal Iwan wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what effect is used/called/named at about 1:50 in the
> video below? TIA ..
>
> It's Lee Oskar an effect guru like Richard Hunter.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl6qS717NsM

I suspect the Lexicon MPX-500 behind him to be the culprit. Very cool effects in that unit, though meant for balanced line level signals - so a preamp of some sort may be needed for best results from a mic. They are no longer being made, but are going for short money on ebay....

Speaking of effects, and now that the SPAH program is coming out, I wish to invite you all to my seminar on the subject (sort of). I will be presenting on approaches to the use of various technologies and effects to transform the sound of the harmonica into distinct new timbres and soundscapes. This will include uses of better-known effects like flange, delay, and pitch-shift but also whole new effects and effects combinations. Participants will be invited to try these out themselves.

As part of the seminar I will also be demonstrating some "roll your own" processing through a piece I wrote for Howard Levy, who premiered it at the University of Massachusetts Lowell last October as part of several days of workshops and a concert. As a composer, technologist and newbie harp-player, I was honored when Howard asked me to write an electroacoustic piece for him to play at the event. To realize the piece I wrote four new computer programs for processing the sound of the live harmonica and combined them into an app for Howard. I will be demonstrating that at SPAH and will have some free original software for those that are interested.

Since the Levy premiere I have also performed the piece myself. You can hear a sample of me playing it at:

http://youtu.be/aN5rurKFxlk

(Not quite Howard, but you'll get the idea….)

So please feel free to stop by; it looks to be scheduled on Saturday at 10:30am in Orly. That said, there are some other amazing seminars at that time, including the James Conway "Breathing Secrets" which I have attended and it was amazing! SPAH is sometimes full of tough choices.....

While I'm at it, I will also take this opportunity to point you all to another video I just posted regarding experiments I've been undertaking modding small tube amps for blues harp:

http://youtu.be/_vAeorFJ0AQ

Enjoy!

- John Shirley
Music Department Chairman