[Harp-L] Copyright violation and JP Allen's harmonica.com

Hmmm

If J.P. Allen himself initiated the actions Winslow outlines, then I have little to add. Infringing the rights of the President of SPAH, then blocking Jason Ricci in view of the harp-l community says enough.

While human nature has infinite capacity for surprise, it is hard to imagine any harmonica player doing this, let alone one in the public eye.

It may still be that an individual is acting on his behalf, without his knowledge. The financial gain from these infringements is minimal, the loss of reputation in the harmonica world irreparable.

His approach, as far as I can make out, is "play harmonica in 30 minutes". This addresses a large market. Over the years he has probably driven significant instrument sales, indirectly allowing Hohner to engage people like Steve Baker, Joe Filisko and Michael Timmler. Likewise for other makers. We all benefit from that.

The best outcome would be for J.P. Allen to identify himself, and put things right. Let's hope this happens.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays