[Harp-L] Copyright violation and JP Allen's harmonica.com

I've been following J.P. Allen for some years.

The reason - I'm active in the online harmonica teaching space, and have gone to considerable effort to get my name out there. It's worked. My sites get a lot of traffic.

The name of the game is Google rankings, and here J.P. Allen has been very strategic. No problem with this, I've tried to do the same. Some years ago he bought harmonica.com. It was previously a poor site, it is now his own. Whatever he paid for it, I suspect the extra traffic from Google has made it very worthwhile.

Adam Gussow, Dave Gage, Howard Levy, Dave Barrett and others fight it out with me (and J.P. Allen) for Google rankings in the online harmonica teaching space. I say good luck to all of them, and let the best man win. At the end of the day we all do, because there is more choice for harmonica students. As a beginner in the 1970s, I wish I'd been able to access people like Howard Levy and Dave Barrett from my desk...

All good, so long everyone plays by the rules, and plays fair.

Directing Winslow's book icon to harmonica.com is clearly not fair. Likewise directing a picture of Gregoire Maret to harmonica.com

It could be that J.P. Allen has outsourced his Search Engine Optimisation work, and is not aware of what is happening. I can't imagine he would feel comfortable with this discussion on harp-l, neither should he.

Perhaps an email to him pointing out these issues, and suggesting he address them would be worthwhile. It may well solve the problem.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays