Re: [Harp-L] Cleaning my harmonicas

On non-wood and non-valved harmonicas I normally use dish detergent and an old flat, short bristle tooth brush under dripping water and BRUSH END TO END on the reed plate--sideways over the reeds, never in line with the reeds themselves.  I saw this method taught by Jason then later by Richard Sleigh.  I use Barkeepers Friend  then Flitz when the brass needs prettied up a smidgeon, then clean as above.  I have an ultrasonic cleaner but am not impressed with the under powered unit.  Sometimes just running water thru the harmonica can freshen it up a bit. Whatever method you employ just be careful not to bend nor harm the reeds.

Lockjaw Larry

On Mon, 7/14/14, Steve <moorcot@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Cleaning my harmonicas
 To: "harp-l harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Monday, July 14, 2014, 12:24 PM

 If you use a toothbrush
 or similar to clean reedplates, absolutely ensure that you
 brush in one direction only, from rivet to tip. You've
 been warned!

 20:14, "Jerry Deall" <jdeall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

 > Jackson,

 > Here's my routine:
 > First I separate harps I play a lot from
 the less frequent ones.
 > The less
 frequent ones get a a few 5 min cycles in the ultrasonic w/
 very hot water, then I tap as much water out as I can before
 it all re-dries. Non wood combs only of course.

 > Frequently used
 harps come completely apart.
 > Combs
 (wood) brushed w/ a moist soft toothbrush (I don't want
 to get these very wet).
 > Combs non-wood
 (composite, plastic etc.) and cover plates, get a good wash
 w/ the tooth brush under hot running water, set on a towel
 to dry
 > Reed Plates (and tarnished
 covers) I use Barkeeper Friend (powder), wet the plate, dip
 wet brush into powder and gently clean a way.
 > Rinse really well put on towel til dry,
 reassemble and plink/set reeds, etc. before I put the covers
 on.

 > Hope to see
 you at SPAH this year.

 Kincheloe" <jacksonkincheloe@xxxxxxxxx>

 PM
 > Subject: [Harp-L] Cleaning my
 harmonicas

 > What
 are people's favorite ways to clean their diatonic
 harps? I use a
 > toothbrush and a small
 amount of toothpaste, and wonder if there is a