Re: [Harp-L] Worst Gus incident ever

seems like a reasonable request...(koff)

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Bean <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Jul 14, 2014 11:36 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Worst Gus incident ever

That's taking Gus to a whole new level!

BB

On 7/14/2014 10:32 AM, Richard Hunter wrote:
> I played a gig with Jackson, Wyoming-based rock heavies Derrik and the Dynamos
on Saturday, July 12, and Phil Round, the accomplished guitarist/singer/songwriter
(see http://philround.com) who played bass on this gig, told me the most
hellacious Gus story I've ever heard.

> The well-known Jackson-based attorney Gerry Spence has a son who plays
harmonica.  This son, who by the way is a fully-grown adult, not a kid, is
well-known for playing his harp wherever he goes; I heard him playing once while
standing in line at airport security in Jackson.  (No, I did not introduce
myself.)  He's been mentioned to me several times by Jackson musicians
(disapprovingly) as a guy who stands up and plays the harp from the audience
when a band is performing.  In other words, he's Gus.

> What Phil told me is that not long ago, while Phil was playing a Sunday gig at
the Stagecoach bar in Jackson (a gig he's played for almost 45 continuous
years), Spence demanded--not asked, demanded--to sit in with the band.  When the
band politely demurred, Spence and about a dozen of his friends laid themselves
down on the dance floor in front of the band, making it impossible for anyone to
dance, in an attempt to extort the band into submission.