[Harp-L] Summer Night Harmonica Classes in Philadelphia PA Begin Mon. July 14 & Tues. July 15

From:  Seth Holzman, PO Box 866, Ardmore, PA 19003-0866

           Cell Tel.: 610-724-3168;
           Email: zepharpo@xxxxxxx
           Thursday, July 10, 2014

To: My Fellow Harmonica Enthusiasts
   Just in case you or someone you know may be interested, here are the dates, times and course descriptions for the 8-week harmonica classes I will be teaching beginning Monday evening July 14 and Tuesday evening July 15:

Monday nights, from 6:30 to 7:45 PM - July 14 to Sept. 15 (no class July 21 or Sept. 1) - "Advanced Blues Harmonica 1"

Advanced Blues Harmonica 1 - Course Description

(For people who have take Blues Harmonica 1 and BH2 or who have equivalent knowledge and skill on the harmonica.)  Ready to dive into the deep waters of great Blues Harmonica playing?  Perhaps you've taken several blues harmonica classes and/or you've been playing for some time, and you are now ready to dig into the most rewarding yet challenging blues harmonica playing.  Let's work on the riffs, phrases, turnarounds, techniques, positions, etc. of Sonny Boy Williamson 1, Sonny Boy Williamson 2, Little Walter, James Cotton, Sonny Terry, Paul Butterfield, Junior Wells, etc.  Bring your recordings and I'll bring mine.  Textbook fee $8.00.  (Bring your Blues Harmonica 1 textbook if you have it).  Required: Bring a 10 hole key of C-major harmonica such as the Hohner Special 20, Hohner Marine Band 1896, or equivalent.  Suggested: Bring all your other harps too.  Optional: bring a recording device.
Monday nights, from 8:00 to 9:15 PM  - July 14 to Sept. 15 (no class July 21 or Sept. 1) - "Play One Harmonica in Six Different Keys (Positions)"

Play One Harmonica In Six Different Keys (Positions) - Course Description:

    (This is an intermediate level class for people who already have taken a Beginning Harmonica class or two.)  The ten hole key of C-major harmonica was originally designed to play songs in the key of C.  Playing this way is now known as playing "Straight Harp" or "First Position."  Yet the same C harp is usually played by blues harmonica players (and others) with songs in the key of G.  That is called playing "Cross Harp" or "Second Position."  And sometimes the same C harmonica is used to play in "Third Position" - in the key of D.
    We will work on simple to intermediate level songs in these 3 positions as well as songs in Fourth Position (in the key of A), Fifth Position (in the key of E), and Twelfth Position (in the key of F).  The songs we will work on include Amazing Grace, When The Saints Go Marching In, When Johnny Comes Marching Home, Summertime, St. James Infirmary, and some blues, jazz and pop songs.
    Lots of individual attention will benefit everyone.  Required:Bring a 10-hole diatonic key of C-major harmonica such as the Hohner Special 20, Hohner Marine Band Model 1896, or equivalent, to first class.  Required text may be purchased for $8.00 from instructor on first night.  (Recommended but not required: Bring other 10-hole diatonic major-keyed harps, such as G and D).  (Optional:  bring a recording device.)
Tuesday nights, from 6:30 to 7:45 PM - July 15 to Sept. 2 - "Blues Harmonica 2"

Blues Harmonica 2 - Course Description:

(For people who have take Blues Harmonica 1 or who have equivalent knowledge and skill on the harmonica.)  Let's continue our study of Blues-style harmonica.  The harmonica's unique sound is integral to the distinctiveness of many great blues bands.  Learn some techniques and styles of background and lead playing.  We will continue to work on songs by Slim Harpo ("Something Inside Me," "Raining In My Heart") , Little Walter ("Last Night," "Hoochie Coochie Man"), Sonny Terry ("Bring It On Home To Me"), etc.  Bring a 10-hole diatonic key of C-major harmonica such as the Hohner Special 20, Hohner Marine Band Model 1896, or equivalent, to first class.  Required text may be purchased for $8.00 from the instructor the first night (you may already have purchased this text for Blues Harmonica 1).  (Optional:  bring a recording device.) ______________________________________________________________________________
Tuesday nights, from 8:00 to 9:15 PM - July 15 to Sept. 2 - "Rock 'n' Roll Harmonica 1"

Rock 'n' Roll Harmonica 1 - Course Description:

(For people who have take Beginner Harmonica class or who have equivalent knowledge and skill on the harmonica.)  Some of the greatest recordings of rock 'n' roll and pop music are distinguished by the harmonica playing heard on them.  We'll work on the harmonica parts of recordings by the Beatles ("Love Me Do"), Rolling Stones ("Sweet Virginia"), Neil Young, Billy Joel ("Piano Man"), Bruce Springsteen, and others.  We will focus on techniques like bending, and examine in detail some intro riffs, fills and solos.  Lots of individual attention!  Bring a 10-hole diatonic key of C-major harmonica such as the Hohner Special 20, Hohner Marine Band 1896, or equivalent to the first class.  Required text may be purchased for $8.00 from the instructor the first night.  (Optional:  bring a recording device.)
Registration:
    Each class will cost $95.00 ($85.00 for PFS members).  I don't personally handle any of the registration.  You may now register for these classes through the Philadelphia Folksong Society (PFS) starting Tuesday evening July 8 (hopefully), or else Wed. July 9.  Either call them at 215-247-1300 or go to www.pfs.org.
    (You will not be able to register through Mt. Airy Learning Tree - MALT.  MALT IS not involved in these summer classes.)
    An additional textbook fee of $8.00 will be required (except that the Blues Harmonica 1 textbook will probably be used in most of the other Blues Harmonica classes and thus you may already have it.).  Textbooks will be available for purchase from me on the first night of class.

    Thanks for your continued interest in harmonica and music!
    Best,
    Seth