[Harp-L] Seeking recommendation(s) for harmonica repair

Greetings All,

I have a custom double reed plate harmonica in the key of G that needs a reed repaired. I obtained this harmonica by being the winning bidder at a SPAH auction at the 2003 SPAH convention in Dallas. Buzz Krantz and I were the last two bidders and he graciously stepped aside when he could tell how badly I wanted it.

This harmonica is the most cherished one I own, but it is a better harmonica than I am a harmonica player, so it could only suffer my abuse for so long before something had to give. It is the 5 blow reed, for those of you who were guessing which one was the victim. A sure sign of sloppy playing.

My memory tells me (and hopefully I am recalling correctly) that this harmonica was built and donated by Richard Sleigh to support the SPAH auction. I sent a couple of emails to two different email address for Richard but didn't get a reply, so I am not sure what my next avenue of pursuit is to get this reed repaired.

I suppose it is possible that I am mis-remembering the craftsman who built this harmonica but I don't currently think that is the case. I am just about positive that it is a Filisko Method setup.

I have been away from Harp-L for a few years so I do not have current information about the available pool of suitable folks to perform this repair. I figure that having a double reed plate construction and Filisko Method setup might perhaps require someone knowledgeable/trained on those things.

OK, that's a lot of blathering on from me. Can any of you fine folks get me pointed in the right direction?

Thanks and Regards,
Frank Meek