[Harp-L] Improvising on 'Summertime' and alternative tunings

I read with interest postings on alternative tunings to improvise on Summertime.
The Gershwin standard is bas icall a minor blues (Amin)  with transient change to relative major (C maj).
Since Amin and C are modally related the transition is smooth.
Several scales can work, but I would begin by thinking of it as a blues first with the pentatonic scale of Amin blues or (A,C,D,E,G,A). This is exactly what the melody does.
Beyond that we get into minor scale options. A melodic minor mostly works, as does Dorian and even harmonic minor.
The tune can be played fairly chromatically, moving thru notes easily, paying attention to the roots. There is no one scale that fits all and of course ear is the judge.
I'll use this to show many options in the presentation on Chromatic Improvisation at SPAH this year. Hope to see some of you there.
Neil Adler neiladlerpiano.com