Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Seminars at the 2014 SPAH Convention

Peter: there's almost nothing Jason plays which I don't love.  I'm a  fan
(and friend) of his for very many reasons. Before I heard  Smokey's version I
too thoroughly enjoyed Jason's version --especially  compared to other
diatonic players I've heard. This video in fact isn't the  best I've heard him
play it, at all. In person he played with a lot  more soul since this was
basically a teaching video.

Then Smokey did this at a Buckeye Convention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu8Jt7DKMOk

!!!

and Jason retired his own version after Smokey guested onstage with him at
a club in Smokey's neighbourhood where they played it together.

If you notice--the comments on Jason's video (by him)go back 4 years. Read
the 4th from the beginning comment on Smokey's.

Hey, nobody would hold him to something he said so long ago but I  think at
the time he too believed that it also sounded far better on a
chromatic..when played well.
That said--I'd have given anything to be a fly on the wall when those two
let loose. :)

My personal feelings are that with the advent of half-valved diatonics  and
the work Brendan's done with his inventions, 'never say never' with any
instrument and while I'm not a personal fan of hers (for other  reasons)
Christelle Berthon does seem to be able to attain musically seamless  notes on a
diatonic most other players fail to achieve. I have no idea if  Summertime
is in her repertoire or not.

Elizabeth

Message: 11