Re: [Harp-L] Seminars at the 2014 SPAH Convention

Am .07.2014, 01:20 Uhr, schrieb Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

As a person who plays both diatonic and chromatic, I think I can explain this. With a chromatic, everything is cut and dried. The notes are there and there are very few shenanigans necessary to get those notes. Picture a 2 story apartment building. [...]

With diatonic, there is a mysterious way of occupying the building. And while you DO have a similar arrangement , you also have EXTRA people (notes). These people don't show up on the address book.

Nice analogy. For me another big difference is that the chromatic and the diatonic house have very different furnishings and painting. The overall feel of the house is very different for me.

It's like playing a nylon or steel string guitar. The general layout might be similar (or even the same, when both are tuned to the standard tuning), but the soul is pretty different and different kinds of music lean more to one or the other instrument. Not to say the instruments are limited to one specific kind of music in general.

Best regards
Peter