Re: [Harp-L] Diatonic Reed Repair at Resonable Prices

With an old harp, it is likely that more than one reed might be bad. Several reeds could be out of tune or near death. You may send the harp off to replace one reed and find most of the other reeds need to be retuning. And then, how long will they stay in tune?

Consequently, it might be cheaper in the short run (or long run) to simply by a set of replacement reed plates. For example, a new Hohner  Blues Harp sells on the Internet for $39 and a set of Blues Harp plates sell for $17. If you can get a new reed and the rest of the harp tuned up/checked out for the same price.

Of course, only the repair tech will know as each harp is different. Not every out-of-tune harp needs a complete reed plate transplant. Some only need minor touch ups. Others will be hopeless.

Back in the dark ages, when Hohner first came out with with replacement reed plates for its MS models, it was cheaper to buy the cheapest Hohner (Big River) take the plates out and put them in your MS harp than to buy new replacement reed plates because the harmonicas had a discount price but the reed plates did not, thus cost more than a new complete harmonica.

As far as sending the harmonicas back to Hohner, you can probably get an estimate before they go ahead with a repair. The Hohner tech will probably tell you if it is cost-effective to tune up and replace the reeds or install a new reed plate.

After talking with Hohner you would have baseline price to decide whether to go with Hohner or a harmonica repair person.

The only repair I ever got from Hohner was purchasing a replacement cover for a CX-12 chromatic. I was completely satisfied.

Phil