Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Progress

The advice in this thread to learn melodies is good advice.  Melodies are fixed; the notes are a known quantity.  So you know when you're doing it right.

Two other approaches that made a big difference for me are:
1)  Learn to play particular solos--harmonica solos, trumpet solos, any instrumental solo at all--note for note.  As you increase your abilities, try to match the articulations that the original soloist used.
2)  Get an inexpensive recorder--Radio shack makes a portable cassette recorder that sells for about $30, and the Zoom H1, which makes good quality digital recordings, is less than $100.  Record every practice session, and listen to what you recorded.  Identify the areas for improvement, and work on them. I did that every day for 3 months while I was preparing for the recording sessions for "The Act of being Free in One Act," and it had a profound influence on everything from my basic sound to my facility with tricky lines.

Finally: carry a harp in your pocket everywhere you go, and play every chance you get.  Those spare minutes devoted to harp add up.

regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)
Twitter: lightninrick