Re: [Harp-L] Man with what harmonica?

Op Thu, 9 Jan 2014 19:00:58 -0500 schreef Joseph Leone:

>On Jan 9, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Arnold Cazemier wrote:
>
>> @Gary
>>
>> Bb is possible! That would be >6D 5D 6D >6D, did Bb chromatics exist at
>> that time?
>>
>> @Ken, Joe, the last two notes are indeed D# and E, but the breathing
>> direction changes, so the notes will never sound together as in the song.
>>
>> You see, in my humble opinion it can't be played on a C or G.
>>

>> Arnold
>>

>Blow hole 6. Blow hole 5. Draw hole 5 with slide in. Wiggle slide on draw hole 5 with slide in and gradually letting it out so you get a discord.
>Blow hole 6. Draw hole 4. Draw hole 5 with slide in. Wiggle slide on draw hole 5 with slide in and gradually letting it out so get the discord again.
>
>So, don't know what they did with the sound in the movie? as I don't have the movie here to listen to. But that's how it was done. The tune then goes into A minor. It is easy enough to do on a diatonic but you won't get that laconic discord. So a chromatic in C was used.
>

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we53TOJyt78

This is in A minor, like the original. The starting note is an E,
then he releases the slide and you hear the D#. That 's not
possible on a C chromatic. Or am I missing something?

Of course this is not a big deal, but I must say that I'm a bit
surprised that the type of harmonica used in one of the
most famous harmonica tunes is NOT a known fact :)

Arnold