Re: [Harp-L] (Diatonic) Harmonica in Progressive Rock or Jazz Rock? (Peter Madcat Ruth)

I too am a huge fan of Sky King with Madcat. Some of the best diatonic harmonica I've ever heard not to mention the greatness of the other musicians.

As a college student in the mid-70's with no cable and only over-the-air 13" B&W TV that I rarely watched I stumbled upon a PBS special called Brubeck and Sons. Dave Brubeck mentioned his backup band, mostly Sky King members as "degreed jazz musicians trying to make a living playing funk rock 'n' roll." The next day I went to Tower Records to find the record to no avail. I asked the clerk and he went to the back room and handed me the last copy that they had. I've never seen another.

I was a fledgling harmonica player at the time and was buying any LP that had harmonica on it to grok from. Still have 'em. You name it I probably have it. Sky King and Norton Buffalo's first two LP's helped me bridge between hole 6 & hole 7 fluidly and fluently. Today, a few years later it's second nature. I may have found it on my own but their help expedited the process. I'm forever grateful.

In addition to Sky King, I believe there are two Brubeck and Sons records with Madcat that are also worth the listen.

Kudos to Madcat as one of the best and most pioneering harmonica players of all time. Especially our time.