Re: [Harp-L] clean mic + RP355 + clean amp or Perennial Tube Amp vs. Modern Digital Amp thread

I've started to view the tube amp/ bullet mic thing as a one trick pony,
albeit with some variations. I have used an RP355 (and a 250 before that)
with RH patches successfully through the PA, but it still can't quite do
justice to that tube only sound when constructed carefully. I go three ways
with my playing now; chromatic and some diatonic work straight and clean
through a Shure SM58 into a PA, usually fattened up on the board with EQ; a
"half stinky" sound with a Shure 585 through the RP 355 and PA for some
tunes, and the RP 355, using the very clean reverb and delay patches into a
tube amp combo through a Shure 707 vintage CR mic. Works for me, since I
cover many styles from straight ahead jazz to acoustic Americana/Jug band
to electric blues, but not for everyone. I use a Boss A/B Looper as a line
switcher for mic inputs and the stereo L/R outputs for the RP355, one
channel into the PA the other into the tube amp.

Not all that hard to set up, but only for local or drivable gigs. I've
flown across country with just the RP355 into a PA and was not
disappointed.

Dave

--
David S McCurry, EdD