Re: [Harp-L] Valved harmonica

I play Suzuki valved harmonicas. You can blow bend 1-6 and draw bend 7-10.
This gives you a 38 note chromatic instrument. I am completely comfortable
using it that way.

It is an alternative to over/up - bends which BTW are impossible on a
valved instrument.

Of the two methods, my experience suggests that valved bends are easier to
learn but harder to make sound good.

If you are not yet confused, I'll tell you that up bends are by far the
most common technique for playing a diatonic harmonica as a chromatic;
notwithstanding, I play mostly valved.  Go figure.

Oh yeah, one more thing - Valves are common on chromatics, where they are
known as wind savers. On the chromatic, all reads are valved. On valved
diatonics only half of the reeds are valved.

  -LM