[Harp-L] Re: upbend

The terms overblow overdraw and overbend are very confusing  for many
beginner and even intermediate level players, a quick  dig into the archives is
all that's needed to confirm this.  I  proposed upbend as a way for the name
of the technique to more closely describe  what the technique actually
accomplishes... bending the pitch of a  played note upward.

Sure, the reeds are doing stuff that could cause you to make the  argument
noted below, but the issue at hand is the confusion created  by the current
terminology.  The goal wasn't to present a scientifically  precise
description of what happens beneath the cover plates, but instead  to create a term
that would more clearly describe the end result of the  upbend technique...
something a beginner could make some sense  of.

Michael Ruben (who teaches a lot of players) independently proposed
'ascended bend', which is the same thing with a couple extra  syllables.
Michael's hoitytoidyness aside, I guess there's at least  two of us who see the
current terminology as needing repair.  In any case  if you say them backwards
I'd much rather be asked to bend up  than to bend over.

If there's a still better description floating around that gets  the point
across I'd be all in.

Christopher Richards
Harmonicaplanet.com

In a message dated 2/11/2014 7:42:12 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,