Re: [Harp-L] 2nd position

"TedvA" wrote: (in response to the question: how do you play a C# on a G harp in second position (Ky of D):

<Ah, that's very easy to answer:
<I think there are 3 things you can do to play the C# in 2nd position:
<- you don't (natural 7 is not in blues-scale anyways)
<- 5 overblow (pretty hard)
<- 6 blowbend (on a half-valved harp)

These are all correct, but there's another answer.  Use a country-tuned harp, i.e. a harp with the draw 5 reed tuned up 1/2 step.  Now the C# is available in the bottom octave via bending (half step bend on the draw 2 reed), and in the middle octave via the draw 5 reed (which you can bend down 1/2 step to get a C natural if you want it).

The country tuning is a very flexible tuning.  It was much loved by Charlie McCoy, and Steve Baker said on this list some time ago that about 1/3 of the pieces he plays use this tuning.  I'm very fond of this tuning also, and I use it on my solo arrangement of "Billy The Kid," among others.

Country tunings are available off the shelf for Seydels and Hohner Special 20s (maybe other models as well).

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)
Twitter: lightninrick