To: "martin oldsberg" <martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "harp-l harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 3:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] (no subject)

I forget the album and song but Mickey did a fifth position song. Michael Rubin Michaelrubinharmonica.com

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 7:24 AM, martin oldsberg <martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

Bart gives you such an excellent answer and there´s no need to elaborate
on that, but my impression re: Mickey R is that he never plays outside 2
pos. (Disregarding special tuned harps -- but arn´t they as well modified
versions of 2 pos?)

  There´s a fairly recent album out with Willie and Wynton Marsalis
playing Ray Charles tunes and Mickey takes several solos and from what I
recollect off the top of my head he did´nt stray outside 2 pos for a
single
tune -- even when it would have been rather comfortable to do so (the
minor
stuff, "Hit the road Jack" etc).

It surprised me some -- but he ain´t alone in this firm proclivity.

Cheers, /Martin