Re: [Harp-L] Yamaha THR10C

I concur. I think many players limit their sound to a rather narrow range
of possibilities (i.e. the "right" mic with the "right" tubes and amp to
get the "perfect" tone). You could, for example, take the Little Walter
Chess Masters recordings and program the RP to provide each and every
effect, song by song. And, there were many different effects and shapes on
all these recordings, from straight up acoustic playing in front of a vocal
mic in the studio to the strangely amplified, distorted and reverb rich
tunes like Flying Saucer or the brassy Off The Wall.

None of that means you would play like Little Walter. I think amp modeling
opens up all these possibilities. I have found the Yamaha unit to be more
responsive (a subjective term I would agree), part of the VCM (virtual
circuit modeling) architecture.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/rnd_portico_plug_ins/vcm.html

Richard, if you haven't fooled around with one of these yet, I'd love to
hear your opinion. I have the THR10C, which is designed with more class A
tube profiles (all are modifiable through software interface). I really
like the 5 touch buttons on top, that can instantly give me 5 custom
presets. That said, I still love my RP355 and I am still learning how to
get more out of it.

Dave

--
David S McCurry, EdD