Re: [Harp-L] A-432

Whatever floats yer boat.

However, I find the supposed superior attributes of tuning instruments to A-432 to lack credibility. Personally, it doesn't sound any better to me, just lower in pitch, and nothing I've seen convinces me that people, without being told that it is more magical, prefer 432. Add to this the difficulty of retuning instruments such as our beloved harmonica, and I'd suggest that it just might be a waste of time and energy (unless, of course, someone is paying you handsomely to do it).

My view is perhaps naive, but straight forward: Most of us don't play music that consists of only a simple sine wave at a single frequency. Most music is rich in overtones and has a very wide frequency range. Therefore, any magic that could be attributed to a single frequency is soon lost, regardless of how you tune your instrument.

Also, reference standards can be a good thing. What are vibes or reed players supposed to do, all because of a perhaps misguided fad? Or, let's say you retune all your harmonicas to reference 432 and next year someone discovers that there is an even more magical reference to tune to...

Beyond this, and perhaps most importantly, many of the 432 claims have been debunked. Here's one well-referenced source:

http://www.medson.net/A432hz-myth.html

Again, perhaps I'm just being naive....

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com