Re: [Harp-L] Re: [HarpTalk] Digitech phasing out the RP355?

Bill Hines wrote:
<Hi Richard, what capabilities (if any) would one lose in going with the
<355 versus 360XP? I see in your blog (http://www.hunterharp.com/store/)
<you say better onstage performance, and "definitely sounds better than
<any other RPÃÂÂmore colorful, more detailed, more ear-catching" but you
<are primarily comparing the 350 to the 355 and the 360 to the 500 there,
<not the 355 vs 360 buying decision.

The 360XP is definitely more stage-worthy.  I've had problems with myself and others hitting the wrong switches on the RP355 at the wrong time; once a guitarist stood on the 355 long enough to start the looper, which was a real drag, not to mention hard to identify as the source of the ensuing problem.  The 360XP's footswitches are also far more accurate and positive than the ones on the 355, which really makes a difference with quick patch changes and looping.

The 360XP has more of everything: more amp and FX models, more real-time control, more storage for user patches, more processing in the code that modifies the signal.  It sounds bigger and bolder than the 355, and it cuts through a band better. It even sounds a tiny bit better than the RP500 and RP1000, though as I've written on my blog, not enough better to make it an important consideration in choosing between them.

We can also expect further development by Digitech where the 360XP is concerned, meaning more and better software support, operating systems, etc., which we won't with the RP355.  I have to admit that I'm devoting the bulk of my sound development time to the 360XP too, because that's the future, especially if the 355 is now a legacy device.

Summary: I'd only buy the 355 if money is very tight and you get at least 50% off used (i.e. you buy for $100 or less) in good to great condition.  If possible, I would save up for the RP360XP.  You can of course always buy a used RP360XP; I see that guitarcenter.com has two of those now listed at $149 each for 4-star condition.  Pretty good deal.  Notice that I refer always to the 360XP, the one with the expression pedal.  I think the expression pedal is a must-have feature.

The 355 has one, of course.  And if you end up with a 355, I wouldn't cry about it.  The thing delivers a very nice collection of sounds.

Regards, Richard Hunter