[Harp-L] 14 hole Marine Band

Check out this link for the layouts of most off the shelf harps:

http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q36.html

While there I would highly recommend downloading the Altered States files on harmonica tunings.  Every harmonica player should have this file.

There are several layout suggestions for how to modify the top range of standard tuned 12 and 14 hole diatonics so that the gaps are not so extreme.  Depending on what you want to do I can think of some possibilities.  Or you can leave it as is and take advantage of the octaves and splits you get up there, and focus on where those lay.

If I wanted to modify the harp but stay with a familiar feeling layout, I would keep the draw plate as is and modify the top blow reeds to be more similar to solo tuning--replace the E in hole 11 with a C and then move the pattern up a hole, so holes 11-14 copy holes 7-10.  The doubled C (holes 10 and 11) is unobtrusive and you would then be able to simply play all the stuff you normally would play in holes 7-10 an octave higher.

That's if you want to change it.

JR Ross