[Harp-L] clarinet keys

> Clarinets used to come in Bb and A. Before the modern systems of keys and rods was developed, some keys were too hard to play on the Bb, so players would us the A clarinet instead.

In case someone puts a gun (or a sharp instrument, like an oboe, or, worse, a violin) to your head and asks about the clarinets, promising to do you damage for getting the answer wrong....they still do come in Bb and A (and some others)...and some keys are still awkward to play in, but we manage....a very few times, we'll switch instruments and transpose, usually so we can charge extra for doing that.

http://jonkip.com
Of the instruments that I own, only the harmonica comes in so many keys, costs so little, and has room for magnets.