Re: [Harp-L] Name any other instrument that...

After reading some very good replies, it just dawned on me why there are
trumpets in other keys....

There has been music written for a very long time for instruments with a
mouthpiece for buzzing the lips.... All of these instruments are NOT
diatonic, and they are NOT chromatic.  They follow the "harmonic series"
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_series_(music)

Regarding my earlier example of the trumpets... well during the Baroque
period, "Natural" trumpets did not have valves... The "valved" trumpet was
not yet invented.  Therefore, if a composer changed keys for the strings,
he had to write an instrument change for the brass.

This also went into play with "church modes" employed by early composers.
If the piece was written in Dorian mode with trumpets, then "Trumpets in D"
would likely be indicated in the music.

  In other words... what ever the "fundamental (first) note is, that is the
"key" of the horn...the second note is one octave higher...the third note
is a 5th higher than that, the fourth note is a 4th higher than that It was
during the Baroque era that brass instruments were